Interview with Marloes "Rumina" Coenen


For those of you who don't know Marloes Coenen you are in for a treat with this interview.  Marloes has been fighting MMA since 2000. Her current record is 18-4-0. Her last fight was against Sarah Kaufman for the Strikeforce Womens 135 Belt which she won, and now she is currently getting ready to have her first title defense against Liz Carmouche.  Marloes has fought all over the world and for a lot of great organizations.  She has a great personality and is an all around great person.  So without further a due let's get on with the interview.



Marloes thanks again for your willingness to talk with me today and for your willingness to do this interview with me.  It is an honor for me to be able to talk with such a legend of Women's Mixed Martial Arts.

Chris: Where do you currently train?
Marloes: I train under Martijn de Jong, the MMA head coach for team
Golden Glory.

Chris: What belts and titles do you hold?
Marloes: Remix World Champion 2000, ADCC European champion (2007?), 3rd at the ADCC world championships in 2007 (?). I’m bad at dates.


Chris: Give me a day in your life.
Marloes: Wake up, training, rest and daily stuff  cleaning, shopping, cooking things like that. One day I train 2 times the other day not. My body needs a lot of rest.


Chris: What is your training regimen like?
Marloes: I’m training Shooto and do strength and conditioning.


Chris: If you could train with one person who would it be?
Marloes: Pff..I never think about things like this. I’m fine with my training partners. But you know what?  I just read the bio of Agassi and I would like to play tennis with him and after that a drink and talk with him about being an athlete.


Chris: How many Amateur fights did you have before you went Pro?
Marloes: 2. But that was back in the old days, there were no fights for me so I took what I got offered.


Chris: Who do you look up to in Women's MMA and why?
Marloes: No one. But I respect everyone who steps into the cage.

Chris: Tell me about that moment when you realized that you had an all around fight game.
Marloes: I cannot recall that moment. Because it is in my game to combine the three aspects naturally.


Chris: Do you feel women should be allowed in the UFC? Or do you feel women need their own promotion to shine?
Marloes: I think Strike force is doing fine. It would be even better if more promotions become bigger and start with women divisions. But first more women have to come to the sport and Dana has to date one. ;)


Chris: What do you think about adding MMA to the Olympics?
Marloes: Wasn’t there Pankration 648 BC? ;)


Chris: What is something no one else would know about you? That you can share with us.
Marloes: I have a cat named Rumina after Rumina Sato.


Chris: Who do you think has the best stand up in Women's MMA today? And why.
Marloes: Germaine de Randamie. Cyborg is powerful but not the most technical fighter, Randamie is. But she is a thaiboxer..MMA stand up is different.

Chris: Who do you think has the best ground game in Women's MMA? And why.
Marloes: I don’t know. Megumi Fuji?

Chris: How did you get the nickname of "Rumina"?
Marloes: From the Japanese media/fans. I think it has to do with my flying armbar technique back in 2000. I’m still a big fan of Rumina. So it is a huge compliment to me.

Chris: What advice would you give to other women who are just starting out in MMA and want to be a Pro Fighter one day?
Marloes: Enjoy the sport, find a gym with a nice culture. And start training for at least 2 months 3 times a week (never skip a class). After this period you decide to continue or not. If you continue..listen good to your body. Rest is important!

Chris: What is one motto you try to live your life by each day?
Marloes: Just do it.

Chris: What do you like to do outside of fighting?
Marloes: Too much.

Chris: What is the last book you read?
Marloes: “Open” by Agassi.


Chris: Any sponsors or people you would like to thank?
Marloes: Golden Glory and
Strikeforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments they are always appreciated.